Welcome to the 2018 Summer Politics Academy!
The tabs below contain important information regarding the Summer Politics Academy for admitted students. Please read the information carefully by reading each tab carefully.
NOTE: Our main form of communicating with program attendees is through email. Please check your email once or twice a day as th program date approaches.
In order to make payments, please visit the following pages.
Deposit Payment Page: https://tutoring.hsa.net/products/summer-politics-academy-deposit
Tuition Payment Page: https://tutoring.hsa.net/products/summer-politics-academy-tuition
Financial aid recipients will have received separate communication about how they can pay their tuition balances.
Session Date: August 6th to August 10th
+ Checklist of tasks to complete before the Academy
You MUST complete the following tasks before you arrive and by the deadlines listed. Failing to adhere to program deadlines can result in having to forfeit your spot at the Summer Politics Academy. Deadline extensions may be granted for extreme circumstances. If you have any extenuating circumstances, email email@example.com.
- Pay your non-refundable $100 tuition deposit 7 days after you receive your acceptance letter.
- Deposits can be paid here.
Complete the SPA Registration Form by July 15th. The following are the details:
- This form can be found at summerpoliticsacademy.com/registration.
- This form will ask you to complete the topic preference form. This form is going to be used to place you in a project group and will ask you about your areas of academic interest. The form can be found at https://harvard.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_a3r9u4GG0SR6I2F
- This form will also require that you sign and upload the SPA registration packet that includes information about the program and media and medical release forms. This packet can be found here.
Pay your tuition balance by July 15th.
- Your tuition balance can be paid here or at https://tutoring.hsa.net/products/summer-politics-academy-tuition
+ What to bring with you
- School or government issued photo ID( School ID, Driver's License, Passport etc)
- Laptop computer, tablet or equivalent
- If you do not have a laptop or similar device, you should indicate it on the registration form.
- Working cell phone with US phone number
- Pens or Pencils and a notebook
- Water bottle(Cambridge gets very hot in the summers so please bring water bottle with you)
- Prescription medications in their original bottles
- Umbrella or rain jacket + Program Logistics
Start and End Time Students should check-in to the program at 9AM on August 6th. The latest arrival should be no later than 9: 30 AM as we being program activities promptly on the first day. The program ends at 5:00 PM from August 6th to August 10th. Students should arrange pick-up beforehand. The program staff cannot be responsible for students after 5:00 PM.
Important Phone Numbers Students can contact the program director Gelila Wolle at 617-955-9164. This number should be your first point of contact if you have trouble during the program or need help locating the program site. If you are calling because of an emergency, please dial 911. You can also reach other program staff at the following numbers. You should contact these members of the team only when the program sessions are running.
Dara Li (HSA Tutoring Managing Director) 214-385-6582 Brianna Harris(Summer Coding Academy Director) 646-296-3483
+ Technology Use Policy
Devices with image, video or audio capturing capabilities may not be used to capture content without the knowledge of the subject of the content or in a way that violates the privacy of involved parties. Students must be reasonable in their use of technology during instruction times and group work times. Devices should not be used in a way that disrupts the program.
+ Housing and Accommodations
Our program is a non-residential program. We do not have housing or accommodations of any sort available and students and their families are responsible for finding and arranging accomodations for the duration of the program. Some options participants have used in the past are:
- Family/Friends who live in the area
The August 6th to August 10th program will take place at the Harvard Hillel located at 59 Shepard St. A google search of hotels or airbnbs near this location is the best way to find accommodations. There are plenty of affordable hotels in the area and starting to look early can make a huge difference.
A detailed session schedule is available in the program packet that is included in the registration form. Students will have homework and readings during the program that they will have to work on outside of the 9am to 5pm program time. Students should complete all readings and homework on time.
Students will also be given a coursebook that has the class materials and final project guidelines within it. Readings will be printed and given to students at the end of each day.
Lunch is offered everyday during the program. Program lunches and snacks are included in students tuition fees.
Students with dietary restrictions, needs or religious observances should provide that information during registration. We do our best to accommodate most dietary restrictions.
Am I allowed to walk wherever I want during the breaks or lunch times during the sessions?
For your security, we require that you do not leave the program location for the duration of the program unless you are accompanied by a member of the program staff.
What should I wear at the program?**
The following are guidelines to help promote a safe & effective learning environment. Attire that distracts from the educational goals of the program is not permitted. Students are expected to dress in a manner that is neat and appropriate for school or work:
- Items or insignia that are crude, gang-related, vulgar, profane or sexually suggestive, that bear drug, alcohol or tobacco company advertising/promotions or that advocate racial, ethnic or religious prejudice are strictly prohibited.
- All tops (shirts and blouses) must cover the top of the shoulder and completely cover the stomach, chest and bare back.
- No see-through shirts, blouses; no halter tops, tank tops/tube tops, undershirts, muscle shirts or other tops that expose the midriff.
- Shorts and skirts must be size appropriate.
- Pants must fit and cannot be either too loose or too tight; pants that sag are not allowed.
- Shoes must always be worn; no inappropriate footwear or roller blades.
- No sunglasses may be worn inside school buildings or classrooms.
We encourage that students wear dressy or business casual outfits for the final SPA Summit presentations. Outfits include, dresses, suits, blouses/shirt blazer with tie, skirt or slacks or similar outfit.
How do I get to the program site? Program participants are responsible for arranging their travel to the program site at 59 Shepard St., Cambridge, MA, 02138. Entering this address into a smartphone map system should be able to help you find the program site. If you are flying to Cambridge, the closest airport to the Harvard campus is the Boston Logan International airport. Boston also has a public transportation system which can bring you to Harvard from different parts of the Cambridge and Boston. You can learn more about public transport in Boston here. The closest station to the program site is the Harvard T-stop on the Red Line.
Do I need to bring any documents? You will need to bring a school, community or government issued photo ID on the first day of the program.